Monday, June 9, 2014

Just Walk Toward the Light

Hey everyone! It's been another week in Norway. True to form, the Norwegians have found another reason to skip out on work and school and travel out of the country. The culprit this week? The Pentecost. I feel kind of bad because before my mission, I can't say that I actually knew what the Pentecost was. I had heard the word before but I didn't have a clue (for those of you who don't know what that is, just read Acts chapter 2). But here it is a really big deal. I think it is slightly ironic that although most people here aren't even remotely religious, they have a lot of holidays in the name of Christianity which they use to take a vacation. So this week the stores closed down and people went away, but it was good to be able to think about the ascension of Christ and the day of the Pentecost. I am so grateful for the Gift of the Holy Ghost which was poured out on the apostles on that day so many years ago, because I would have no chance of succeeding in this work without it.

Life is going well as normal in Narvik. I have officially knocked on every door in the city, That posed a slight problem at first, but now we are walking out to Ankenes a lot to try the houses there, so it has been good to mix things up a little bit. It is about an hour to walk out there, and I have really enjoyed the sun shining on the fjord and the mountains here. It is all so beautiful! It is moments like that where I just have to stop and thank God for everything He has given us. Even though life isn't always easy and the work isn't always booming, I have so many blessings that I ought to be grateful for, and sometimes it takes the little things to really make us understand God's love.

This week we taught a few lessons, but the highlight was definitely an investigator we have named Kai. He is 18 years old and loves to skate, but he is so curious about things and is interested in God. It is great to be able to sit down with Him and explain God's plan and then sit and watch the Spirit work on him. Watch it testify of the truth. He has the best questions and I just know that God's hand is in the work and that He leads us.

Other than that, it has been a lot of finding this week, and it has been tough to fight off the monotony. To be honest, it's been pretty rough and it has looked kind of dark at times. I always wondered why- I thought missionaries were supposed to be full of light always. Always sure of themselves and always successful and always filled with the Spirit. But one day it dawned on me that in the middle of all my worries and doubts and fear, the Spirit has always been there. God has never left me. Even when the path has been dark around me, and I haven't known where to walk, every time I lift my sight and look at the goal ahead, the light is there and I still have direction. I may not always see clearly around my feet, but I know where I am going and I know that as I take my steps of faith into the darkness, the Spirit will light my way. So remember when they going gets tough and the mists of darkness close in: It is best to look up. Just walk toward the Light. I can promise that no matter how dark the night may seem, the Light of Christ will never fade and will always be there to light our way.

 We got to give service this week. FINALLY! we picked up garbage in the city.



I am in love with the nature here. Mountains and fjords all the time. It is beautiful and it is the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment