Monday, February 17, 2014

Knockin' on Heaven's Door

So my mom asked me several questions this week, the answers of which I am now going to turn into a blog post. Thanks mom! :)

It has been a good week, and I really feel like things are picking up here in Oslo and also in Norway. The most exciting thing that happened with the work was that we found an investigator on Saturday on the street who met with us right then and said that she would be baptized! Her name is Viviana, she was born in Spain but has lived in Norway for most of her life, and she has such a strong desire to learn about the gospel. She has a sickness which makes her tired a lot and sometimes hard to concentrate, but she is so prepared and she even came to church with us yesterday. She got tired and had to leave part way through, but she came which was a huge step.

As far as our other investigators go, nothing is really happening with Malika or Rhoda yet, but this week is Winter Break, so hopefully they will have a little time to meet with us over the course of this week. I did talk to Malika when I saw her at the Tax Office when we were checking Elder Duncan into the city though, so that was a good reminder for her that we are still here.

Now for the weather report in Oslo. The weathermen here have been horribly wrong, but the weather has actually been pretty nice lately. There has been no problem staying warm, and it has actually mostly just been raining all the time the past little while. Sometimes it snows in the morning, but the rain always comes in the afternoon, and the streets just turn into a big lake. Which is a little lame, but today the sun is out, the skies are blue, and I am not wearing my boots for the first time in a long time :)

My new companion, Elder Duncan, is from Logan, and he is a really great guy. I am happy to be serving with him, and I think that the quality I admire most in him is that he is really motivated to work hard, which is a great quality as a missionary, of course. 

I absolutely love serving in Oslo. I hope that I get to continue serving here for a long time, because I know that I am really going to miss this place when I am gone. My favorite member here is a man named Kjetil, if he is in Norway, Justin, if he is in America, or some Chinese thing if he is in Taiwan. He is really really sarcastic and works as a professor at the university here. I just think he is really funny and he is always willing to help us out.

When I go to bed at night, the parts of my day that are the most rewarding are the conversations that I had with people about the gospel. I don't really enjoy the long line of rejections, but at the end of the day I don't remember them anyway. Joy really does come from sharing the gospel.

And now I will end with a thought about work. I felt like I had a decent work ethic when I got to Norway, even though it was different than the kind of work that we do here, and I felt like I was prepared in a few ways. One was through basketball and the dedication and effort that required of me over a long period of time, another was through having a job through high school, and a really important one was having my dad as an example for me to help me learn what it really means to work. I don't really think it is possible to prepare someone for what a mission is going to be like, but I do think we can help by teaching them the importance of setting goals and then developing the skills necessary to live in a way that allows us to achieve those goals. I think that is the secret of life, actually, and without learning that one thing, I don't think there is any way we will ever reach our true potential as children of God.
It has been a great week for me, so I hope that you all can say the same. Talk to you next week!


Some Sushi I made!


 Standing by Main Street


 At the ski jump again! but this time there is snow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment